Shades of Reality (Final Project)

Credits:

Talent:

• Daniel: Daniel Gerlach
  • Older Sister: Jackie Chesnut
  • Roommate: Jorge Sandoval
  • Narration: Kyle Letsom

Audio:

Written/Filmed/Edited/Produced:

• Kyle Letsom

The initial intent for this video was simply to create something that is interesting to watch. Then as I looked into more story idea a little deeper, finding new possibilities, I realized that I wanted this to be a sad story, yes, but also and inspirational story. There is a bit of a humor element and a suspenseful element, but mostly I was going for inspirational. My initial story idea was a bit concerning because of the editing that was required to make it work. I wasn’t sure if I had all the tools I needed, and I certainly wasn’t sure about how to go about doing them. However, I stuck to the story idea and took my chances with youtube video tutorials on how to operate inside of Premiere Pro to accomplish everything I wanted. Thankfully it worked!

I have to admit, I think I got a little too overly ambitious with this project. What started out as a good idea led to more and more ideas that just couldn’t all fit inside a video that cannot exceed 3 minutes. That being said, one of the biggest challenges with this project was cutting all my video footage down to under 3 minutes. I also had a number of other dilemmas such as working around all of the schedules of my actors. It was especially difficult around this time of year because the people I needed for my project were supposed to be around my age, and everyone that fit that description was too busy with finals. I even had three actors quit on me entirely just before all of my production was due. They had too much on their plate, but they had already committed to the project and I had already filmed scenes with them at that point. Finding replacements last minute proved to be a huge problem, but thankfully I managed. In addition, my computer caused me some issues as well (not Premiere Pro this time, thankfully). My video file just got to be kind of large and my computer was not allowing Premiere to play certain bits of my video, more specifically the split screen section of my video (four videos running at the same time). This was quite the obstacle as well because it was very hard to see all the edits I made when it wouldn’t give me the option to play it back and see what it looked like. However, all things considering, I can confidently say that I am proud with how this project turned out, and I am proud of everyone who put in work to make this video happen.

⌈Kyle Letsom⌋

3 thoughts on “Shades of Reality (Final Project)

1. Hoa Mai Nguyen

Kyle,

What a great job you did! Your voice along with the music sounded really good and I also like the strong message you delivered. I know you and I ran into some problems at the beginning, but I’m glad it worked out for you in the end (despite the computer issues). I am proud of you for pulling through this class and good luck on the rest of the term!

2. Johnny Bruton

Wow Kyle… This is pretty amazing. Definitely the most creative and well-executed final project for this class I have seen yet. You definitely have talent at producing video. The content was creative and incredibly thought provoking. Lame that you had actors quit on you, I have had that problem with models in photography and it is incredibly frustrating when you have a deadline. I’m glad that you were able to find replacements.
    Again, fantastic job!

3. David Galbreath

DDDDDDAAAAAAAMMMMNNNNN. dude, you did an amazing job! the figure fading out was an awesome effect! the story you came up with too was very inspiring/devastating. way to pull through all the struggles working with actors.