For this project I decided to experiment with the cut-up technique discovered by artist Brion Gysin and writer William S Burroughs in the 1950’s. Cut-ups consist of cutting a page of text into four, trimming the margins, and moving the parts up and down against each other to get a new combination of words, images, and meanings. I took a poem by Rimbaud, cut it up and rearranged the parts into something I felt would be interesting to read and use as the voice track. I added some homemade recordings of my ten year old daughter messing around with a typewriter, balloon, zipper and toy whistle for the background tracks. I also added two synthesizer tracks going through a delay. The great thing about this piece for me was the process of making it and how it evolved. Originally, I did the reading of the new poem but ending up canning it. Then, I had my daughter’s mom read it which turned out fine. My daughter also wanted to give it a try, so I created a new track but what happened was her voice ended up merging with her mom’s track basically taking it over. I am new to Audacity but I believe there might be a ghost in the program. The result of this unintentional accident turned the piece into a cut-up sound collage creating something that I would not have been able to do if I had planned it out. The piece kind of took on a life of its own so I decided to leave it the way it is, even with the phone ringing.