The Travelers & The Purse

For this project I was attempting to create a very immersive experience. What I envisioned was a storytelling event with a narrator speaking directly from a book to kids gathered around them. I felt the best way to accomplish this was to not have any of the nature and other environmental sound effects begin until after the title had been read; the opening of the book. I worked with Adobe Audition to accomplish more complex effects, such as making the villager sound like they were coming from out in the distance. I, luckily, found both the background music and nature sounds on a free sound website that fit perfectly with the vibe I wanted to create. The characters were all done by me, obviously, if you’re reading this post-listen, so I tried to differentiate the four voices by altering my voice. Most importantly, I gave a slight directional change in the software to make it sound like they are standing either in front of or on either side of the listener. Speaking of the voice acting roles, I intentionally chose an Aesop fable because I knew that it would mean the script would be prepared for me. At first I clicked on a few random options until I eventually landed on The Travelers & The Purse. I chose to go with this one in particular because I felt that having more than one character would make for a more dynamic listening experience. I also felt the medieval setting would be interesting to recreate.

4 thoughts on “The Travelers & The Purse

1. Sydney hammer-powell

This was a cool little story and the music you chose fit well with it. Great job with your voices too!

2. Sarah Stuart

John,
    This was so fun and I think it’s because of your voice acting. You took a story that anyone can read and got so creative with it. You did a great job of creating the soundscape, made it feel very immersive. I know audio is not the direction you are going in, yet maybe a fun side project? We would only be so lucky! I am really looking forward to more of your work, in class and out of class!

3. Timothy Patton

I chuckled at this one. I have fond memories of studying fables such as this in grade school. Very interesting tactic on directional change with the dialogue! I’m afraid I didn’t notice, seeing as I listened through my computer speakers, but it’s really cool to know it’s there.

4. Hannah

Your delivery of this story was absolutely amazing. I really love the way you read the part where the selfish character realizes he’s done wrong, I think you had most of the class laughing along. It was great. The sound effects that you chose worked really well with the story, and I loved your music choice!