Abandoned house off route 36

off Route 36 near Cheshire Oregon there is a home off the side of the road that is abandoned. my original idea for this project was to use the location for a horror-themed shoot but during my last visit, I took time to wander the home and look at the things left behind and after about an hour of walking through and looking at the belongings left behind a new story came to my mind, I wanted to highlight the horror of what the house being left behind might look like. to most people driving by the house just looks like a pile of trash but the inside used to be someone’s house someone’s life. during my walkthrough, I found old CDs, family photos, notes, all personal items that I believe if someone were to have moved they would have taken with them.

Along with wanting to capture the horror behind it I also wanted to capture the beauty of the neglect of the house, most of the plant life had overgrown unto furniture or into windows and through the floorboards. even though there is no human life living here there is still plant and animal life living here, its become their home now. Overall walking away from this project left me feeling a sense of wonder, I want to know what happened to this family and why all their belongings still remain.

this project was very enlightening and I think in the future I might do more like this just for fun, the exploration and time that I put into this felt very rewarding in the end and I came out feeling excited to pursue personal projects like this in the future. I encourage more people to wander into an abandoned place and try to learn their story and maybe capture it.

3 thoughts on “Abandoned house off route 36

1. Stacy Sellers

That was awesome, Victoria! I love your story. Your use of stills mixed in with the handheld camera really added to the vibe. Awesome choice of location and music too! Well played.

2. Aubrey Crossley

This is crazy I really feel like this is taking me inside the house! I have so many mixed feelings about abandon places you chose a really good topic for this final. This really got me thinking about what happened to the family that used to live there. the way things were left untouched is spooky and the music was a good touch Nice job!!

3. Baillie Robinson

The imagery is really beautiful, but definitely was a scary watch. super awesome!!