P4 Audio Bridget Holst

This project takes place from the POV of an office worker. The worker likes their job but one of their co-workers is a skeleton named Boney. Boney is productive and nice but because he’s a skeleton, his bones are obnoxiously loud.

Initially for this project I was just going to read an Aesop fable, but as I was timing myself reading them I found that they all took me less than a minute to read and I don’t think adding sound effects and music would have increased the time enough to go over the 1 minute minimum. So I had to create my own story that had to go on for at least a minute.

This was hard for me because I’m not a very creative person when it comes to creating stories, especially for an assignment. Early on in my brainstorming process I knew that I kind of wanted my story to be comedy because it would be the best way for me to progress the plot and add sound effects. Later in my brainstorming I decided to make the main character a skeleton because it’s October and I thought it would be funny to have a skeleton just doing everyday things. Initially I was going to have the skeleton in a park but I didn’t really have any ideas to continue it. I was talking about the project to my dad and he suggested that the skeleton should work at an office and be very loud. This gave me a better idea of what I should do for my project, both for the plot and the sound effects. This project made me realize the benefits of bouncing your ideas off of other people and just trying to come up with something by yourself.

I recorded and edited the audio files using Adobe Audition. I’ve been learning how to use Audition in another class so I thought using Audition for this assignment would give me more experience with it. Before this assignment I was technically able to use Audition well but only with step-by-step instructions but using the information I already know to record and edit sound made me much more comfortable using Audition than I was before, without specific instructions.

By: Bridget Holst