This is our first of five check-ins on if we’re making progress on our web team goals.
1. Reduce the total number of pages on the Lane website by 5% (from 5550 to 5273)
Met! We’re down to 5006 pages, which is almost a 10% reduction. Much of this was because we eliminated third party scholarship listings, in favor of more comprehensive scholarship search websites (our listings were always out of date). We’re going to continue trying to cull content, but we’re going to focus most of our effort on some of the other goals.
2. Reduce the number of pages with more than 15,000 characters by 10% (from 249 to 224)
We’re more than half way to this goal, with just 232 pages with more than 15,000 characters. Much of our progress here came from removing pages that related to our former president, and which are now on our archive site. Additional progress will be harder.
3. Reduce the average character count of our pages by 10% (from 4650 to 4185)
At an average length of 4412 characters, we’re about half way to our goal.
4. Improve the average age of our pages (the average late updated date) by 4 months (from 16 months to 12 months)
Unfortunately, we’ve made no progress on this goal, with our average age unchanged. Please help us out by editing your pages!
We also had two traffic goals:
- Increase session counts for www.lanecc.edu during the period 6/14/17-6/14/18 compared to the previous year by 5%, from 3,228,904 to 3,390,349
- Decrease the bounce rate for www.lanecc.edu during the period 6/14/17-6/14/18 compared to the previous year by 5%, from 37.05% to 35.19%
Since these are annual goals, they’re a little harder to compare against. But we can compare similar time periods. For the first two months, 6/14-8/14, comparing 2016 to 2017, our session counts have increased by 2.64%, but our bounce rate has increased by 3%. We need your help with this goal as well! Think about the keywords that your page targets, and make sure your content contains those words. And whenever possible, please make sure your page includes some sort of target or goal you’re trying to get your visitors to do.
And, as always, please feel free to contact us on the web team if we can help in any way!