Les Plages du Débarquement

I was definitely not prepared for the D-Day beaches in Normandy. On our way there, I realized that I had only studied them briefly in middle school and high school, and just like all traveling does, they are now very important to me. I have always been so moved by soldiers who fight for what they believe in, or even just fight at all for a good cause. Visiting the places where these horrible events took place, like Omaha Beach, and especially the American Cemetery, really made me take a look at my life and how it has been affected by events that took places around 70 years ago. It was difficult to not cry as Hope and I walked in between the crosses and stars of David that marked the burial places of over 9,000 men, especially since I am as old as some of them were when they died. There is such a strong feeling there, when you enter the cemetery and see the monument, then it just nearly overwhelms you as you turn your eyes to the headstones. Even though we did not get to stay very long, I am so grateful for the time that I had to walk in that place. Though the D-Day beaches exemplify this more than other places, I learned even more that our world is not just made up of different nations, languages, customs and ethnicities. It is truly a place where we all live, and it is up to all of us to make sure it’s protected so that we can keep living.