The Achieving the Dream (ATD) initiative will enhance student success by building an evidenced-based, student-centered, results-oriented culture that engages all campus stakeholders.
Achieving the Dream is dedicated to helping more community college students, particularly low-income students and students of color stay in school and earn a college certificate or degree. Evidence-based, student-centered, and built on the values of equity and excellence, Achieving the Dream is closing achievement gaps and accelerating student success nationwide by: 1) improving results and institutions, 2) influencing public policy, 3) generating knowledge, and 4) engaging the public. With 160 community colleges and institutions, more than 100 coaches and advisors, and 16 state policy teams working throughout 30 states and the District of Columbia, ATD helps 3.5 million community college students have a better chance of realizing greater economic opportunity and achieving their dreams.
- Strengthening an evidence-based community of learners and practitioners
- Improving developmental and foundational instruction and services to support student progression and completion
- Understanding how and when disaggregated populations reach progression and completion challenges
- Developing, implementing and reviewing interventions to improve progression and completion
- Institutionalizing successful intervention
- Improving student persistence rates from one term to the next
- Improving certificate and degree attainment rates
- Integrating ATD data and planning with college strategic directions and accreditation core themes
Mary Spilde, Kate Barry, Lida Herburger, Ben Hill, Craig Taylor