Hi Friends and fellow classmates. The final is finally upon us. This was a good project and challenging. In this project I shot approximately an hour of video of my wife making a cheesecake. What’s challenging about that? Well, to reduce that hour of footage to 3 minutes for starters. I learned more on this project than all the others combined; especially about editing. While I’m not under any illusions that this video could, on any level, be considered great; I learned that pacing and cutting can be implemented aggressively while still maintaining continuity and a modicum of watch-ability.
While editing this video I thought I was being aggressive. So, when I finished the first edit and found that my video was still around 15 minutes long, I wasn’t sure I could condense it in a way that could be both watchable and still come in under 3 minutes. That’s when I started slicing and dicing. I found that cutting on the action and using dissolves to suggest the passage of time helped me to eliminate huge portions of the footage that wasn’t nearly as important as I had originally thought when had I shot it. I also found that there were some key shots that had defects in them (i.e., slightly out of focus or something distracting in the frame I hadn’t noticed while filming). For the most part, I was able to cut around these defects and realized that I enjoyed the process very much.
I’ve discovered that I enjoy editing, and I want to learn how to do it better. I’ve enjoyed meeting all of you in this class almost as much as I’ve enjoyed viewing your work. I think all of you are very creative and have bright futures. Keep up the great work, and I hope to see your names in the credits some day.
A. H. Norton