Self-Discovery (Social Distancing)

There are both upsides and downsides to abruptly being ordered to stay at home, being forced to drop the main elements of your life and wait while the world gets sick and hopefully heals. Although it’s pretty overwhelming, I feel fortunate to get what I’ve been wanting for a long time. I finally got let off the leash tied to other’s people’s clocks! With this sudden surge of freedom, I feel like I have really gotten to know myself again.

I have been filling my days with long phone calls to old friends, cooking all day, finally working on my line of boujee baby stuff. I have become a little handyman, putting up shelves and building a bed of nails. I can fully immerse myself into any little world I want for days and not feel rushed or guilty. It’s almost like I’ve died and gone to heaven a little bit. I do miss my friends, but it’s been fun to have to think of new creative ways to keep in touch. I’ve been collaborating with so many people now that we have the time and welcome any distractions. Of course, there are flashes of intense realizations as I slowly process all the changes in my life and the world, but I’m certainly glad to be forced to slow down and create my own structure.

This term I switched from Graphic Design to Multimedia Design because it seemed like I would be learning a wider variety of things that I’m interested in. I don’t have any specific plans for when I finish the program. My current focus is to explore, play, learn, and see what I’m drawn to. I like to wear many hats and can see many roads and opportunities coming my way.

by: Traci Crimmins

Day 18, assessing tropical plant vs veggie ratio, concerned, tired

One thought on “Self-Discovery (Social Distancing)

1. Ruby Jude Jay-Mustafa

Hi Tracy,
    I found your post interesting and super relatable. I also feel like this quarantine time has given me a much-needed break from basing my days off what other people need. This year has felt so busy and fast paced for me it’s been a sort of blessing in disguise to be able to slow down. I also related to the lower portion of your post! I spent two years at Portland State University under the graphic design department, but it never felt right to me so I’m now focusing on a general multimedia degree until I figure out a field to focus on. I’m interested to see what else you submit/contribute to the class this term!