Ava Maria Photography

Whenever I’m given freedom on projects I like to include my friends and get them involved with my work, so for our final project I decided I wanted to do a quick amateur promotional video for my friend Stefanie on her company, Ava Maria Photography.

I was a little nervous, as I don’t have a whole lot of experience recording video, but I was even more worried about scheduling since she is very busy, and we were having a bit of trouble trying to figure out a photoshoot I could go to. A lot of people weren’t comfortable with a third party tagging along video taping their session, so what we ended up doing was a quick impromptu photo session with one of my good friends, Kevan. Because of the short notice the natural lighting wasn’t ideal, but I thought it was fine. Another issue I hd, or maybe a regret, was that when I borrowed the video camera I used for the project I was assured it shot in 1080p HD quality, but when watching the video that is clearly not the case, maybe it was user error, but I was told hitting the record button was all I needed to do, and so that’s all I did. Ah well, lesson learned to do a little more testing before the actual shoot.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well the interview process went. I was expecting it to be kind of patchy and that I would have to ask her to repeat some answers but she was nailing it the entire time. She was a little nervous at first, which is understandable, but after the first question there was little issue. I was very lucky that the setting worked great as well. I was just planning on interviewing her in her apartment, which I assumed would have to be at her desk or just in a chair, but I scored when we were able to rearrange some cushions on the couch and get a sweet golden ratio going when shooting. I am also incredibly happy I chose to use my shotgun microphone to record separate audio, because the sound quality, to nobody’s surprise, was FAR superior to what the video camera captured.

20180528_132303

Overall I’m happy with how the project turned out, though I do wish the recording quality was a little better. Editing wasn’t too difficult, just some basic After Effects work and fading through Premiere, so that didn’t take long at all. And I’m very happy with how the shotgun mic sounds, though I had to boost the gain quite a bit, so hopefully it’s not just me that thinks it sound pretty decent. Anyways, I had a lot of fun doing this, and They seem to be happy with how it turned out as well!

3 thoughts on “Ava Maria Photography

1. Kacey Baker

This video was a pretty standard interview style, and given the time I would’ve liked to listen to the questions asked to your actor, however given the time constraint I thought it was perfect the way it is. Nice shots of the actor answering your questions, video quality was pretty standard for the camera you used, and microphone audio quality was great, nice use of the boom mic! Those can be tricky to use!

The interview style intermixed with the footage of her shooting her clients profiles, created your classic first-interview style video, but yours was better than that. Good job!

2. Patty Kraskoff

Nice Job! This was well done! Great shots and I liked the video of her shooting, great perspective.