Amateur Cooking…

Over the course of this project I really struggled with what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to make a video that was funny yet cringe-y. Originally, I had thought of doing a sort of cooking show but as the editing process continued I realized squeezing in more than one person into a clip with a maximum of three minutes was going to be impossible. I had already filmed another “contestant” but decided to take a different route and make more of an at-home cooking segment using the lovely Hailey Cowlthorp.

Filming was quite an experience. Hailey continuously made me laugh or made someone in the background laugh and then we would have to reshoot that scene. Wasn’t the end of the world but it definitely extended the process. At least we got some good laughs out of it. I must say, there were a lot of improvisations (if you can’t tell) which was the style I was going for. I wanted the character Charlene to be ditsy and air-headed and Hailey was able to convey that perfectly. The entire video was supposed to be somewhat ironic and not make a whole lot of sense and I think that was accomplished.

Originally I envisioned an interview portion with each contestant in the style similar to the popular show “The Office” because I enjoy the fact that they are breaking the fourth wall. The interview at the beginning was supposed to be an introduction to give the audience an idea of what each character was going to be like but instead ended up with just Charlene introducing herself and although it did give the audience a sense of personality, it wasn’t what I had initially thought of. To be honest though, I think it works perfectly.

Overall, the video was turned out to be something that I didn’t initially expect but ended up being a wonderful experience. I learned a lot about the organization of the filming process as well as the tedious parts of the editing process which will be useful for future projects.

3 thoughts on “Amateur Cooking…

1. Michelle Slaven

Haha! This was really funny. Great job! I really like her little commentary! Now I want spinach cheese granola cake…

2. Christopher Mitchell

Ha!!! Cake. I would have never known how to make that. Thank you so much for the instructional video. Next time I need to toss a salad I will use a beater instead of tongs. That looked much more professional. I also know now that I can transform my plastic bowls into ceramic plates by simply baking them in the oven for 16 hours.