My first AudioBlog

SP18-P4 Audiofor an oak tree

The presentation that you heard was by two computer voices on my Macintosh. One voice is a British accent in the other voice is an Australian. I have been using computer voices to read speeches for me at a board meeting at the college. With my voice, I talk kind of slowly and the time limit for speaking is three minutes in the meetings. With that time limit it is hard to get my ideas across.

One day I was playing around with an older Macintosh and I noticed the accessibility icon in the system preferences folder and I started making it read articles for me than I thought I could write speeches and have the computer read my speeches for me in the timeframe that was allowed. When I thought more about doing this. I thought I was pulling a Stephen Hawking by having the computer speak for me.

The presentation is called “An Oak Tree” by Michael Craig-Martin, comes from an old book about optical illusions and other nice stories about illusions. I have known about this story for years and I always wanted to somehow perform the story in some media outlet. When this audio project came up, I started to panic because my voice isn’t going to allow me to be a radio personality anytime soon. I thought this would be a good time to pull out this story. Working with two different voices was very new for me and making them sound like they are having a conversation was a worthy challenge to edit and follow the story.  I thought the story was only going to take three easy minutes but since it is a clever conversation, it had to take longer to develop. I hope you enjoy it and please leave a comment.

Justin Blakely

Justin Blakely

2 thoughts on “My first AudioBlog