Caged Bird

I chose this poem because of its beauty and profundity.  Maya Angelou was a very prolific and influential writer who helped provoke many changes in our country with her works of art. I felt this poem was appropriate for it encompasses some of the problems we are facing as a society today.  To truly understand this poem one should read, “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,”  written by Maya Angelou in 1969.  It is a heartbreaking and inspiring autobiographical novel about her young life and the harsh environment and traumatic events she grew through.

I wanted to try to capture some of the pain and longing through my vocals as I imagine Maya may have felt as she wrote it.  Of course, I could never fully accomplish this, but I like how it turned out.  I was reading through the poem just practicing and I realized I could probably record it all at once rather than doing different takes of each section of the poem.  It took a couple of tries but in the end it saved me from doing a ton of edits.  It was also really fun finding free sound bits to use for the body of the audio.   I wanted to do something super extravagant but I figured I better keep it simple for beginner’s sake.

Typically I like to keep things more on the silly, funny side of the street so I wanted to do something a little more emotional and thought provoking.  Maya Angelou’s interpretation of this poem would be much different than my own but the beauty of art is how it affects us all in our own ways.  If we can relate to someone else’s words, or music, or paintings, etc., and it evoke some stir of emotion in us, then it is truly a work of art.

I really enjoyed creating this audio project and am excited to experiment with it more on my own.

5 thoughts on “Caged Bird

1. Christopher Mitchell

Good Job Michelle. This is super calm and relaxing. I should try listening to this track while I’m driving to help avoid my road-rage tendencies.

2. Andrew Johnson

Great work! This is a really beautiful pice! I really enjoyed the sound effects that you chose, as well as your music. They really complimented the poem and your voice. You also mixed this really well. The sounders were loud enough to hear, but never drowned out your voice. Really enjoyed the listen.