A Quick Hello and Handshake

Hey everybody,

Thanks for checking out my blog.  My name is Michelle Slaven.  I am nearing my 33rd year of life and this is the beginning of my process of becoming a (hopefully successful) multimedia artist.  Since the moment I had coherent thought,  I have been an artist.  It took me a long time to call myself that, though.  I went through large portions of life not thinking, or knowing, if I was good enough to be considered an artist.  I just kept trudging through those feelings and creating something anyway, because honestly, my character wouldn’t allow me to stop.

Besides being a young child who draws a lot with crayons and markers, my first creative passion was writing.  Stories, poems, my everyday thoughts (I have a journal for nearly every year since I was 12).  As I became older, drawing was more my focus, then painting, sculpture, music, e.g.  I felt like a living sponge who wanted to soak up every different medium of art I could.  I still feel that way!

So I continued through my twenties experimenting with various art forms trying to find whatever it was that would really dig its teeth into me.  I did fire-dancing (performance art), leather-working, metal-smithing, welding, and more.  And while I had a love for all of those, something still wasn’t quite right.

Then I found MultiMedia Design and it all fell into place.  It allowed me to finally see that I can combine all of the things I am most passionate about, AND maybe have a solid chance of finding work doing what I love!   I started school here at Lane six months later and couldn’t be more excited to start this new artistic journey.

6 thoughts on “A Quick Hello and Handshake

1. Andrew Johnson

Hey Michell,

It is awesome to hear you story trying to find your way through what art was right for you. I had a similar path finding my way to Media Arts, I moved around through many of the hands on and 3D arts before finding my way to Multimedia. It really is an amazing feeling finding what is right though. I’m happy to hear that you’ll be joining the program here!

2. Joshua MacDonald

It’s amazing how exploring one art often leads to another. I’ve had a similar experience and hope to see some of your work in the future.

3. Christopher Mitchell

Hi Michelle,
    It sound like you have done quite a bit of exploring in the field of media art. I would love to hear more about some of the experiences you mentioned. I have always been fascinated with the thing that most people take for granted in this field. i.e. Musical scores, set design, historical details, even costume design. I am excited about this program and look forward to learning along with you.

4. Markus Guirand

This is really cool, it takes a lot of trial and error to find your true passion, and once you do it’s the most satisfying feelings you’ll ever experience. Best of luck to you on your artistic journey!