Image Editing Project: Five Materials

For this project, we were supposed to create something that expresses the number 5 in some way. I toyed around with a few different ideas; one of which involved a sort of stop-and-go style that looks like stop motion animation, but with photography or video. I got a certain distance into the process before I realized just how time-consuming it is to do this method. I am definitely going to continue exploring this technique, and perhaps it can come to life in a future media arts class. I can imagine it working quite well with a crew of multiple people working on it.

Another idea I had was to go out to various locations and find motifs and patterns of 5 things, and photograph them. I did some of this, but the weather turned foul.

Ultimately, I decided to create a still image presentation of 5 different common materials. One of the benefits of being a janitor is the ability to have access to a variety of locations around town that I clean. This presented quite a few indoor photographic opportunities, and gave me the idea to shape my project around the presentation of 5 materials. I tried to do the project as a combination of video and still images, but the video footage I shot is all quite shaky. My handheld shooting skills are very unremarkable, and my attempts to stabilize the footage in software was taking a long time and not producing good results. So I decided to play to my strength and stick to still images, with some nice animations and transitions applied to add some life to it. The images used are a combination of photos I took myself and royalty-free photos from my collection. I happened to have a good amount of rock photos from a recent trip to the Oregon Coast, and my mother has a box of various fabrics that she stores here. The music is “Hans – Growing,” and is available for non-commercial use.

I did the image editing in Photoshop, and edited the sequence together in Premiere.

4 thoughts on “Image Editing Project: Five Materials

1. kevin kleppe

You did a very good job with the sequencing of the film. You used some nice creativity with the transitions
    I’m not sure what you meant by “stop-and-go style that looks like stop motion animation”. The individual slides referencing the materials could have been ? 28 plus size font to make it legible. But then again, the names themselves were pretty well-known not really needing definition or explaining. So “font size up” when you need the viewer to read the written. Nice!