PRESS Play

Ever since I made the decision to continue my life’s journey, windows of opportunity have burst open all around me. I’m on a journey to manifest my own personal legend. I’m passionate to opening up to opportunities and friendships. In doing so, I’ve found myself back at it again, with the white Vans, this time at Lane CC working with the on-campus publication, the Torch.

On May 6, I had the photojournalistic assignment of covering Republican nominee, Donald Trump, as he made his first visit to Eugene in his presidential campaign. A teammate, from the Torch, accompanied me to the Lane Events Center. We were equipped with press passes which would not only give us access to the event, it kept us out of lines and out of jail.

Tensions were high that evening as about 4,000 Trump supporters attended the event. Over 5,000 protestors surrounded the Lane Events Center. Eugene’s division has been building over recent months, due to the political season, and felt as if it could boil over that night. Trump protestors exclaim that the Republican nominee’s morals and beliefs are not welcome in Eugene. Meanwhile Trump supporters welcome his “outside” perspective regarding politics.

I wanted to get footage for the Torch to use in its several media platforms. I took my Canon T5 DSLR with multiple lenses to capture photos for the newspaper. Also, I checked out a  GoPro from school. The GoPro video recorder was mounted onto the bill of my hat. The footage captured on the GoPro was intended for the Torch’s multiple online platforms such as Facebook and Youtube. In addition to the Trump rally, we were assigned to cover the protestors surrounding the Events Center. We had our objective, and we delivered.

Inside the Lane Events Center, I was challenged by the overwhelming crowd. Trump repeatedly talked bad about the press saying, “The press are among the most dishonest group of people I’ve ever met.” He would stop throughout his speech to point all attention to the news media located in the middle of the Events Center. With his finger aimed at us, he’d instruct his supporters to turn and face the press and show there appreciation for us. The majority of the crowd would turn towards us and yell, cuss, and sent nothing but negative vibes and intentions our way. It was surreal. I couldn’t believe that I was a part of this event. “The Press,” actually had a large role in this spectacle and I was capturing all of it. Trump did a tremendous job pandering to his supporters and creating more division in Eugene by pitting “Pro-Trump” vs “Anti-Trump” and “Everyone” vs “The Press.”

After an hour long speech by Donald Trump, his supporters were released from the Events Center where they would meet with their main competition, the “Protesters.” Throughout the surrounding blocks, groups grew in anticipation of resolutions or conflict. The night was relatively organized and peaceful, with the exception of one protestor needing medical attention for a mild altercation.

The sights and sounds that I witnessed that night will last with me for a very long time. I felt lucky and somewhat privileged to have been offered an opportunity as such. I learned some professional practices that night that can help me when accepting future opportunities. The most important thing that I learned is, be as early as possible. Give yourself time to capture those “can’t miss” shots. Never be late. Photography is an art of capturing a moment or moments. If you missing those moments, you may be too early or too late. So in my future endeavors, I will show up early, display patience, and be present for the shot.

“If you’re early, you’re on time. If you’re on time, you’re late.”

Lik Hock Yap Ivan

by

Jeffery King Osborns

3 thoughts on “PRESS Play

1. Andrew Norton

Hi Jeffery,

What an opportunity! These types of life events are what keep us going and striving to continue to push the envelope to develop more opportunity. I’m pleased you were able to take advantage of this opportunity. Did you actually get a chance to interview anyone? It sounds like, from your article, that photography was all that you were there to do. Maybe I missed something.

Your writing’s not bad overall. I can tell your heart is in it and that you had an inspiring time. Watch your punctuation. Commas before and after “from the Torch” are not necessary. In fact, in this case, the whole phrase is redundant considering you had already established you were working for the Torch, so a “teammate” would be surmised as also being from the Torch (and, let’s be honest here, we don’t really care as readers who your teammate is because you haven’t given us any real information about him and he doesn’t seem to have any relevance to the story).

Watch sentence structure. For instance, the sentence “We were equipped with press passes which would not only give us access to the event, it kept us out of lines and out of jail” is actually two sentences and would benefit from some editing. Consider this: “A Torch teammate accompanied me to the Lane Events Center where press passes were provided allowing us access to the event; thus keeping us out of lines and (hopefully) out of jail.”

Remember, when you introduce an acronym like DSLR you must first establish what the acronym is for (i.e., Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR).

Watch spelling. The word “towards” is the British preferred spelling, not American. In American publication the proper word is “toward”. Also, the words “there” and “their” are not interchangeable. Be careful how you use them because spell-check normally doesn’t catch them when they’re used improperly. The trick editors use is to edit text from right to left. Give it a shot. It works.

Overall, good job.

Andy

2. Jeffery Osborns

Good comments. Always appreciated. All your points are valid. My form of writing for this class has been intended for a Blog medium only. This is not meant for a publication. In blogs, I appreciate a conversation-like style that can be more personal, as we spoke briefly about Monday morning . I include intentional extra punctuations like “…” and “!!” to provide breath and tone fluctuations. Keep the constructive criticism coming. We do not receive enough in class and it can be helpful.