W16-X4 Professional Practices

I attended a Muay Thai kick boxing event at Springfield on February 13 as a photographer. According to the event organizer, this is the first Muay Thai event in this area in ten years. There were 24 fighters from different states, 12 fights total. Two out of these twelve fights were professional competition (the winner takes the belt).

The event started at 7pm, and the weather was really bad. Luckily the event was at an indoor basketball court. This is not my first time to shoot photos for a fighting event. So, I got to the place at 6, an hour before the beginning time. Because I was trying to get some behind the scene photographs. For example, fighters practicing with their coaches. And of course, with the photographer pass, I can go anywhere to get the photos I want. And I can also use that one hour to find a nice spot beside the ring. There are many things that I’m looking at for the spot. The ring has four corners, and two of them are for the fighters and their trainers. So, there are only two more corners left. Then I compared the two corners, and chose the one with more light sources. It would allow me to shoot at faster shutter speed. For fighting photography, I want to shoot as fast as possible. So I can catch the knockout punch, or the sweat on their faces.. 

The things that I don’t really like about the event was the light. It’s darker than the fights I shot before. So, I have to shoot at a super high ISO. And it cost a lots of noises on the photos!  

This is photo can proof that I was there! (If you can see me!)

4 thoughts on “W16-X4 Professional Practices

1. Kimberlee Trim

I really like your work, Kun! You really take powerful photos that capture so much emotion in just one shot. Every project we have I look forward to seeing what you come up with and I am really looking forward to seeing you expand from photos to video with the final.

2. Karl Reindel

Really good at photography. That event must have been intense. You should consider taking Jen Salzman’s class on photo journalism. You have a lot of talent.