The Raven

Since Halloween is this weekend, I decided to recite Edgar Allan Poe’s famous poem “The Raven” for my audio project. I have always been a fan of Poe, and when I was a kid this poem used to creep me out quite a bit. I used five audio tracks; thunder, a quiet rainfall track, a Raven’s caw, my voice audio reciting the poem and Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata. I felt that this created a very creepy atmosphere, and also sounds similar to what Poe himself was experiencing that frightful evening when the raven sat upon the bust above his door. I would like to issue a warning, though, that I am NOT an actor. The most difficult part of this assignment was to try and convey emotion while I was reading the poem (and trying to breathe away from the mic). In that sense I am not quite satisfied with the final outcome, but the sound effects and the music go together quite nicely, and I was very excited to hear that I had created a very compelling background. If I was to do this again I would have probably taken more time to memorize the poem so that I could have put more emphasis in certain places. All in all it was a fun experience!

By Keasey Freed

3 thoughts on “The Raven

1. MatthewStanley

The emblematic centrality of The raven in the poem is vast. The midnight winged creature remains as the encapsulation of grief caused by forlornness and division. He remains as an image of the loss of the storyteller whose heart longs for his beloved Lenore. The raven represents evil and death. Write My College Paper For Me