The High 5

This assignment was a very slow starter for me.  The idea of creating something about “5” was abstract and I was over complicating it greatly.  Eventually some ideas started filtering in but they were all very elaborate and difficult to accomplish.  Time was running out and I hadn’t even started filming anything or familiarized myself with any editing software.  What can I say?  I was at a loss.  I only had a week left and I hadn’t started a single thing.  I asked around, seeking advice from my instructors and other people whose opinions I trust.  I continued to hear the same thing over and over.  “Step back from it, stop over complicating it, don’t try to force it…”  I must have finally caught on because suddenly it came to me.  The first thing that had crossed my mind the moment I heard “5”.  Simple, fun, and definitely achievable…

High_Five_D

I didn’t bother with a storyboard.  Time was short and I needed to start producing something I could use.  I grabbed a camera, tripod, my friends, bought some editing software, and got to it.  Though I have previously produced one short video, the difficulties involved in the creation of this one were by far more involved and challenging.  I spent hours watching tutorial videos for my new software, Premiere Pro.  It’s part of the Adobe Creative Cloud bundle  ( https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud.html?promoid=KLXLR ) and is a very complicated program for anyone who is new to editing software.  The video you are about to see is actually unfinished.  I had a few more tweaks I planned on making such as added sounds effects and music, background and unwanted noise elimination, and removal of the more “risque” material that initially seemed a grand idea.  Unfortunately while attempting to use Adobe Audition to fix the sound issues I accidentally saved the changes I had been trying out.  The whole thing became a mess as I continued trying to back track and clean up my mistakes.  Luckily I did export a usable copy before the changes so that is what I will be presenting for you.  With only hours left until the deadline I’ve decided it best to let go of my perfectionist tendencies and submit what I have.  So without further ado, I present to you “The High 5″.

As mentioned above, I planned on removing the background noise as well as that horrible creaking sound the tripod made on a few of the shots.  I also wanted to add some music I had chosen on Freeplay Music to cover up some of the longer, quite scenes and make them a little m ore interesting.  The world of editing is vast, complicated, and unforgiving when you make a critical error.  There is so much to learn and I have no doubt that once I’ve gotten a good handle on this program a new update will come out and push me back to square one.  The very last shot was filmed on my new camera, a Canon Rebel T5.  I was completely unfamiliar with it and consequently, the shot came out in wide screen.

Though it is undoubtedly rough around the edges I believe it was a great start in the world of editing.  As you saw I made full use of video effects, on screen text, and even a bit of special effects.  I learned some valuable lessons that I will take with me and implement into my next attempt.  Watch out world, here I come!

Special Thanks:  High5 Thanks

6 thoughts on “The High 5

1. christaantoniak

LOL oh my goodness that camera 5 at the end was great, that’s a really good strong ending. Way to take an original idea and bring comedy into it man, that was fun! Good job!!