Blog Search 2015

This Week’s Topic:  Blog Search 2015.  Another great assignment for my Intro to Media Arts class. This week we’ve been asked to find a professional blog and comment on it.  Seems like a pretty straightforward task, right?  Not so fast.  There are a large number of not-so-great blogs out there.  Thankfully, I found one of the elusive good ones for my area of focus.

One area of media that I’m very interested in is voice-over.  I’d really like to narrate audiobooks and provide voice-over narration for documentary films.  The blog I found most interesting and most useful for this goal is Vox Daily, found at: http://blogs.voices.com/voxdaily.

Vox Daily Front Page

There are a few things I like about this blog.

1.  I like the way the blog is set-up.  It’s a combination of industry professional interviews, industry news, and thoughts on the industry (for example, is honey good for your throat before performing?).  With the opportunity for readers to post comments to the individual blog entries, you get a very nice cross-section of comments from those who have been in the industry for some time and those, like me, who are just starting out.

2.  Vox Daily has a Resources tab that I found very useful.  There are a number of sections available and the two I found most helpful are Podcasts (to which I’ll be subscribing via iTune) and Tools (which includes libraries for free music and sound effects).

3.  How easy the site is to navigate in.  There is no undue hunting around to find the information I’m looking for because they’ve set-up a Browse This Blog by Topic section, so I could quickly get to blog entries about Audiobooks and Narration.

I’m glad I found this site.  I know I’ll be coming back often and will learn something new that will continue to spark my interest in this field.