First Blog Post

My name is Rhiannon Sutton and I am a MultiMedia Design major at Lane Community College. Having grown up in Eugene, I feel as though I have a great perspective on the culture of the Great Pacific Northwest and what it means to be an Oregonian. The pioneer spirit of those that ventured west to settle this wilderness a century ago is alive and well in the arts and culture of this fair city.

As a student of the arts I hope to gain the ability to channel that spirit into media that is both thoughtful and beautiful. My main focus is audio communications and my intent is to one day work in terrestrial radio broadcast, though I know traditional radio is dying as the new millennium progresses. This leaves my generation with a unique quandary. How can we marry old and new technologies and ways of living so that neither is left out in the cold?

This is the root of what it is to be a student of the arts and a student in the twenty first century. I believe it is our imperative to join the old and new in a meaningful way, and that is what I look forward to developing through the course of this program.

By: Rhiannon Sutton