First Post

Hello my name is Jack Murphy. Im 22 years old. Before starting my arts education I was a chemistry student and found the lack of hands on work forced my mind to seek other avenues of expression. I am beginning my study of multimedia at Lane with the hopes of transferring back to the University as a digital arts student. My primary focus right now however would have to be sound design. I have been teaching myself how to use Ableton Live for the past 4 years, and I have recently acquired an analog drum machine and mono synth that I enjoy recording. Recently I was introduced to Native Instruments Reaktor which has been taking up huge chucks of spare time. The music scene that existed between Detroit and Berlin during the 1990’s has been heavily influencing my artistic expression for the last years. I really enjoy the futurist yet dystopian atmosphere many pieces exibit from this time period. The sculpting of noise and ambience into solid yet expansive sonic landscaped. My primary foci in art are space, noise, pattern, repetition, monotony, deviation, and time. I look forward to being able to explore some of these concepts in both time dependent and independent media, as well as being introduced to new concepts worth exploring. Currently I am learning the basics about photography using my iPhone camera, coming from audio, pictures has so many tweakable perameters it seems impossible to settle on a final finished image. I have some experience with video via a class in high school, however that was so long ago I have very little left over skill wise from that. Looking forward to a gainful quarter.