Outsourcing Bookstore to Barnes and Noble – Faculty Comments

Hi Esteemed Colleagues:

The administration is hosting representatives from Barnes and Noble to come to campus to discuss concerns and answer questions that faculty may have as the college considers the possibility of the bookstore being outsourced to this company.

Examples of concerns that have already been raised are OER limitations, reducing work study options for students, limiting academic freedom, textbook costs, and potentially impacting student access to materials.

Senior representatives will be here February 25th from 1 to 4 p.m. The Faculty session will be from 1 to 2:15 p.m. Building 4, room 106 – and a general open forum will be from 2:30 to 4:00. They will be here to listen to concerns, provide feedback and to respond to questions.

This forum is for both faculty who have attended the above session and for those who have not.

Please share your comments and concerns here regarding the possibility of the bookstore being outsourced to Barnes and Noble.

Faculty Council Co-Chairs

Jessica Alvarado and Lee Imonen

1 thought on “Outsourcing Bookstore to Barnes and Noble – Faculty Comments

1. Joseph Colton

I am trying to convert the whole Computer Network Operations program to an OER or free textbook model. We have worked hard to convert classes and write OER material and textbooks to cover courses in our program. My understanding is that Barnes and Noble’s contract with Chemeketa Community College specifically banned the practice of posting links to online OER content in the Learning Management Systems used for the classes. I currently post links to this material in Moodle and my own LMS software. I will continue this practice even if a contract is reached that specifically bans the practice. I believe this is in the best interest of my students and I will not sacrifice the quality of the education we provide to satisfy corporate greed.