Ideas and Opportunities for Increasing Enrollment and Retention

Please share your questions, thoughts and ideas on opportunities for increasing enrollment and retention at Lane. You may post comments anonymously or enter your name and email address.

9 thoughts on “Ideas and Opportunities for Increasing Enrollment and Retention

1. I think the programs offered by Health Professions should be expanded. I would like to see LCC have an accredited diagnostic medical sonography program. OIT in Klamath Falls is the only school in Oregon offering this program, and it would be so nice to have something available in Eugene, even if it’s just to receive a certificate in ultrasound. (You can continue at OIT via distance learning/online to finish with a bachelor’s degree in ultrasound if you have a certificate completed.)

2. I’d like to share some ideas suggested by the Aspiring Leaders cohort during a recent seminar on budget planning. Cohort members suggested offering differentiated tuition based on student hours. For instance, at some institutions full-time students aren’t charged for additional hours above full-time status. They also suggested discounted tuition for returning students as a way to help with retention. (I’ll encourage them to share their other ideas.)

I’d like to hear from more students –like the one in the forum — about where they see we could improve. I’ve seen community colleges respond to student needs by offering more evening, online and even Saturday classes.

3. I was encouraged that President Marge listed “developing
    a robust online education program” as an important step in the process. I know that we have already seen some more resources pointed towards that goal. Kevin Steeve’s instructional design (I think that’s what it’s called?) position for starters. As a former student, current employee, I know I would have enjoyed more online courses. So, to anyone on the Faculty side of things, please do put lots of effort into online access! (And don’t forget your Sec. 508 compliance, we want disabled students to thrive as well.)

One thing I have wondered about is how Lane could make use of the many “MOOCs” out there. Could Lane offer some kind of proctoring for Coursera or other online courses? Could Lane offer our own online courses? Could we partner with Coursera, or another MOOC provider?

If there is any discussion taking place on the MOOC subject already, is it happening in a place I could see?

4. I’m posting a separate comment since I think it’s worth it’s own thread.

Can Lane develop ways to let students learn at their own pace? One of the biggest weaknesses of the classroom is how everyone is supposed to learn at the same pace. Those who understand the subject quickly, get bored. Those who need more time, can’t keep up.

Here at Lane, I took Calculus 3. It was a terrible experience. The class moved at a pace far beyond what I could keep up with. Some of my fellow students simply audited the class so they could take it more than once without effecting their GPA.

On the other side of the coin, when I took Discrete Math, I just understood it really well. I barely had to put any effort in.

Could Lane structure classes in manner that would let students take the time they need to learn something, without slowing them down, or leaving them behind?

Maybe online courses, with optional classroom lectures that cover content in a staggered manner. Then, instead of having to take an exam at a specific time, they could choose when to take it. Say the “midterm” covers sections 1-3 of the book. Students could focus on really understanding those sections (attending lectures on those sections multiple times if needed), then choose to take the “midterm” when they are ready. I’m not sure how students would know they’re ready. Maybe quizzes? Maybe they could take the exam several times? Maybe just a practice exam? So, the official, graded, exam would be proctored.

With my Calculus 3 example, I could take two terms to get through it. And my Discrete Math, I could have just blasted through it in a month or so.

Anyway, if Lane could figure that out, I think we’d become an awesome school to attend.

1. The math department has some classes that are multi-part like this. The problem is that students don’t want to sign up for partial credit. They need full credit to meet their financial aid status which defeats the purpose of allowing them to take only parts A and B of ABC and D.

I also don’t think the catalog allow for parts of classes to add up to more than the single class if offered as a whole so you can’t offer each part as 4 credits unless the whole is 16 credits. Maybe if you could get them through the curriculum committee and approved by the state as separate courses, but then there would need to be a substitution when students graduate and students who took it in parts would be paying a whole lot more than students who took the single 4 or 5 credit version.

A course could be structured in chunks and the instructor could give the student an incomplete if they didn’t finish all the chunks in one term. The student wouldn’t have pay for the class twice, but they would have to complete the remaining chunks during a term they signed up for their full number of credits for financial aid status which is why a lot of students don’t complete incompletes. Financial aid also penalizes having a large number of incompletes outstanding (3+?).

A way to offer courses outside the standard 11 week format without penalizing students through financial aid requirements or forcing them to pay for a class more than once would be wonderful. I don’t know the ins and outs of financial aid. There are a lot of regulations involved, but maybe someone in financial aid would know what the barriers are and what we might do to get around them.

5. What exactly is the point of increasing the enrollment? Im already struggling to pay for my books, fees, tuition, and classes. Im sure im not the only either. If tuition is increased there will be fewer students to attend and the government funded programs will get shut down for lack of students!

Personal life is already going to sh*t because of the government! Don’t make education harder. Just have more homeless people because we can’t get the education needed to survive.

I also agree with David Reagan comment about having your own pace on some courses. It took me 3 tries for accounting, I just couldn’t figure it out… being able to take the extra time to understand a class would be great!