Hello, again … and for the first time

“The connection economy thrives on abundance. Connections create more connections. Trust creates more trust. Ideas create more ideas.” ~ Seth Godin

It’s time for this blog to do its job of forging connections as it was intended. This is a space to share ideas and information for alumni and the current cohort.

Much has changed since the date of the last post in 2015. This is the first year of the program without its founder and the current cohort’s resiliency and adaptability skills are being honed. (You’re welcome!) Two alumni: Mike Sims (2015-16) and Kristina Holton (2013-14) stepped up, offering to help facilitate the retreat and they did an amazing job setting the tone for the rest of the program year.

The 2017-18 cohort is a lively bunch that includes:
Carla Arciniega-Henrici
Katheryn Blair
Amanda Blunt
Anna Gates-Tapia
Andi Graham
Scott Hutchings
LuAnne Johnson
Nikki Li
Richard Lubben
Mira Mason-Reader
Bliss Newton
Casey Reid
Cathy Thomas
Shara Tscheulin
James Walugembe
Brenda Williams
Meggie Wright
Carl Yeh

What’s the latest with alumni action?
Well, there’s a book club. Thanks to Jill Gillett (2016-17) for getting it a book club off the ground. The group meets Friday, November 17, 12:30 p.m., Building 19 Room 142 to discuss: “Originals: How non-conformists move the world” by Adam Grant and Sheryl Sandberg. Email Jill if you’d like to attend the meeting via Zoom. Didn’t read the book? (It’s book club! Who reads the book?!?) Stop by and engage with alumni, anyway.

Following the alumni gathering in the spring, there seemed to be a consensus to do more alumni activities. Look here and the Lane Weekly for updates on how to get involved and give feedback.

Have news to share with Aspiring Leaders and Aspiring Leaders Alumni? Let me know! Contact me through the blog or at sillsm@lanecc.edu.

Thanks to Deborah Butler, Aspiring Leaders (2015-16) for bringing the blog back in the leadership spotlight. Updates to our webpage are coming soon.

4 thoughts on “Hello, again … and for the first time

1. Sandy Brown Jensen

Welcome, Marsha! I believe the blog was my idea lo those many years ago, and I’m soo glad to see it up and running again.
    Thanks for the book club title reference–looks really interesting.
    So keep on publishing blog posts even if nobody replies–doesn’t mean their not reading, and consistency is the key.
    Sandy Brown Jensen Cohort…hmmm was it 2010? 2012?

1. Marsha Sills Post author

Hi, Sandy! Thanks for setting up the blog. It’s fascinating to read the history of the effort to start the Advanced Aspiring Leaders program. I think there’s interest among alumni for greater involvement and a continued shared experience, so that will be exciting to see how it unfolds in 2018.
      You were part of the 2009-10 cohort.
      Thanks for your encouragement!
      Take care,
      Marsha

2. James Walugembe

Wooh nice to resurrect the blog. After the Aspiring Leaders workshop, I regained my steam, and I am now set to resume with my Africa project. I plan to be in Kampala this December for two presentations to students interested in joining LCC next year.